I joined an analyst call with the folks from Verizon today, in which they updated us on their approach to--and services for--UC. Here are a few higlights:
- Verizon sees a lot of interest in UC (thousands of customers are evaluating it), but says that most of them don't have the technical expertise needed to implement a truly unified infrastrucutre (enter Verizon's professonal services).
- Verizon believes the high-profile nature of UC deployments also makes failure a scary proposition for IT proponents; as a result, they're taking their planning and evaluations very carefully.
- Verizon is making a lot of noise around embedding UC into business processes.
- One customer, with 14,000 employees, has dropped its use of Cisco Personal Communicator and is instead relying on OCS and Verizon's services.
- Cost savings has and continues to be a huge motivator for Verizon's UC customers.